Sainte-Marie-aux-Mines - Wikipedia
Sainte-Marie-aux-Mines (French pronunciation: [set maRi o min]; German: Markirch; Alsatian: Markirisch) is a commune in the Haut-Rhin department and Grand Est region of north-.
Sainte-Marie-aux-Mines is located in the massif of the Vosges Mountains, where it occupies the V-shaped valley of the Liepvrette River [fr]. Nearby Lorraine can be reached by road via the Col de Sainte-Marie (fr) (772m) or Tunnel Maurice-Lemaire, which was reopened in October 2008. The Col des Bagenelles (fr) (903 m) takes you to the Col du Bonhomme, and the Route des Cretes (Road of the Ridges).
The Col du Haut de Ribeauville (722,412 feet, 742 m) provides direct access to Ribeauville which is located 20 km (12 miles) to the east. Selestat, a more significant commercial and political center for the region, can be found 26 km (16 mi) east along the Liepvrette Valley.
Sainte-Marie-aux-Mines is surrounded on both sides of the valley by high mountains. The Liepvrette River (formerly Landbach) divides the town into two sections and, formerly into two separate parishes.
Selestat is located 23km to the west at the intersections of D48, D416, D459, and D459 roads. The first crosses the Col des Bagenelles mountain pass.
The town was called Fanum S. Mariae in early Latin documents. It was also known as Mariakirch in German. It was given the name Val-aux-Mines in the second year of the Republic.
The valley of Sainte-Marie-aux-Mines is sometimes called the Val d'Argent [fr]. It contains five municipalities: Aubure, Liepvre, Rombach-le-Franc, and Sainte-Croix-aux-Mines. Established in 1790, it was subdivided temporarily, between 1795 and 1802, into two: the one restricted to the town of Sainte-Marie-aux-Mines, and the other one including the four other municipalities with its center at Sainte-Croix-aux-Mines.