Palace of Culture and Science in Warsaw - Tourist Website of Warsaw
Palace of Culture and Science. Warsaw - Official Tourist Website. © Warsaw Tourist Office.
It can be seen from nearly every area of Warsaw, and is one of the most well-known buildings in the capital. It is not clear where it came from. It was inaugurated in 1955 by Joseph Stalin, as a \"gift from the Soviet people to the Poles\". It was built by Russian workers and was for a long period a symbol of Soviet power and pride of People's Poland. This was also where the conventions of the Polish Unified Workers' Party were held. Its monumental interiors have been host to many concerts, exhibitions and fairs since its inception. Each represents a different area of science, art or technology. For example, a young man holding a book of classical literature, a member komsomol and a woman from Central Asia. You will find the stone honour tribune in direct line to the main entrance. This is where the first secretaries from the Central Committee of Polish communist parties greeted marchers on the May Day parade.